About the Client
Norwich University is a private university in Northfield, Vermont and is considered one of the foundation stones of military education in the United States. It received the National Security Agency’s designation as a Center of Excellence in Information Security Education. The university has also earned the reputation of being ranked among the top two cybersecurity programs in the country in 2014. It is also the birthplace of the Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC).
On conducting an IT analysis, the staff at Norwich University realized how the technology challenges impacted their students. Some of the technical inefficiencies the university had been facing were:
- Old hardware unable to sustain the current Banner® infrastructure
- Challenge of managing multiple projects with limited manpower on staff
- Finding a cost-effective single point Cloud provider and improving better returns on investments.
- Total Cost of Ownership
- Product Licensing Cost
Therefore, when OculusIT approached the university in March 2016, both the organizations planned a smooth transition.
OculusIT engaged its core technical team to scope, plan, and execute the entire transitioning. A complete workflow was designed for the Norwich team to plan the change and incident management with a robust reporting structure.
OculusIT has aligned a dedicated team of DBAs and a Project Manager to streamline the project plan execution, leaving no major dependency on the Norwich staff. The services provided to Norwich University include:
- Migration & Transition
- Project Management
- Operating System Administration
- Database and Application Administration
- Third-Party Integrations and 24×7 Incident Management
Currently, OculusIT hosts the university’s Banner® on Amazon Web Services®. The IPSec tunnels are set between Norwich University and AWS®.
The university was not only intrigued by the depth and flexibility of the services, but also with the significant cost savings which were previously out of scope.
- Extended a pool of resources to the university at the minimum cost of one subscription
- By moving to the Cloud, Norwich University has avoided all extra expenditure on their internal infrastructure, leading to a total of ROI of $200,000 in cost savings
- Streamlined change management process at the University to ensure that proper approvals and zero risk during the actual production
Sierra Nevada University