About the Client
Washburn University is a public university in Topeka, Kansas. It offers undergraduate and graduate programs, as well as professional programs in law and business. Washburn has 550 faculty members, who teach more than 6,100 undergraduate students and nearly 800 graduate students.
Internally, they’re organized into five schools, the College of Arts & Sciences, the School of Applied Studies, the Business School, the School of Nursing, the School of Law and the Washburn Institute of Technology (Washburn Tech.).
The University had been using a legacy system for a number of years to create user accounts in Microsoft Active Directory.
The team at the University was facing issues managing the identities of users at the campuses and hence, they were looking for an Identity and Access Management (IAM) solution to fix it. The existing solution at the University consisted of custom scripts that were maintained internally. Although the system worked well, it presented several problems.
After multiple evaluations, the University chose OculusIT, as their partner, due to OculusIT team’s extensive experience in helping higher education institutions implement MIM, augmenting their team capabilities to better manage other strategic student engagement projects.
Through this partnership, OculusIT deployed Microsoft’s Identity management tool – Microsoft Identity Manager (MIM) 2016 at the University, in Development and Production environments to make provision for:
- Integration with Banner® as source data feed
- Provisioning / De-provisioning of ID’s in Active Directory (AD), Skype for Business (on-prem)
- Password Self-Service Portal
Scope of Services summary includes:
- Development Environment Setup:
- Development Environment Workflow Customization:
- Development Environment QA
- Move to Production Environment:
- Deploy the customization for MIM to AD auto provisioning for users & groups
- Production Environment QA:
- User Processing Bulk load for all existing users
- Configure MIM to sync with AD.
- Different User Types:
- Admin user accounts
- Resource accounts
- Special/Other Accounts
- Service Accounts
- Proposed MIM solution has given the confidence to the University to plan the next step of identity management roadmap
- Auto Provisioning / De-provisioning of ID’s in Active Directory helps the University maintain responsive access and high security